Virus-Specific Nutraceutical and Botanical Agents

This Instituite for Functional Medicine report compares the dosing, mechanisms, and effectiveness of several natural compounds in treating and inhibiting viral respiratory illnesses: Quercetin, Curcumin, EGCG (as in green tea), N-acetylcysteine (NAC), Resveratrol, Vitamin D, Melatonin, Vitamin A, Elderberry (Sambucus), Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), Vitamin C , and Zinc.

The Functional Medicine Approach to COVID-19: Virus-Specific Nutraceutical and Botanical Agents

2 Likes

In a similar vein, here is a systematic review reporting nutritional interventions to enhance immunity in viral infections taking into consideration the current epidemic of COVID-19. This comprehensive review reports evidence on several vitamins, particularly A, D and E, as well as few trace elements, such as zinc and selenium. Furthermore, a large number of nutraceuticals and several probiotics have also shown immune enhancing effects for either preventing or treating viral infections, especially influenza-like illnesses.

Enhancing immunity in viral infections, with special emphasis on COVID-19

2 Likes

I’m personally taking most of the nutrients considered in the above two reports. I’m even giving a try at switching my main beverage from coffee to green tea (well, except for a cup or two of coffee in the morning).

I sweeten my tea with a 50-50 mix of two sugar alcohols, erythritol and xylitol. I find that this mix tastes better than either alone. Some people don’t like the taste as much as “real” sugar; it tastes just about as good to me. Some people may get gas in their intestines from these sugar alcohols; I don’t notice such. Sugar alcohols are not much bio-available as carbohydrates to the body, which fits my low-carb approach (semi-keto, high in saturated fats.)

2 Likes

Here’s a study from Thailand measuring the effectiveness of 18 different nutrients, as well as remvesdir and chloroquine, in activity against key proteins in the coronavirus.

The supplements studied include EGCG (green tea), curcumin, beta glucan, quercetin, lipoic acid, resveratrol, glucosamine, allicin. The study also included two reference drugs, remdesvir, and choroquine.

EGCG (green tea) had the strongest binding affinity to a key covid protein, at the lowest concentrations required to be effective. EGCG was more effective than either of the two reference drugs, remdesvir, and choroquine, by the tested properties.

These EGCG results are consistent with the article that I’ll post next, below, showing that nations with high green tea consumption, and adequate zinc in their diet, had some of the best results against COVID-19.

So - it seems that EGCG is a winner, both in computational screenings, and in epidemiological studies, perhaps even over hydroxychloroquine. Certainly green tea (EGCG) and zinc are more readily available, for those of us living under the thumb of the medical mafia.

Here’s the afore mentioned Thai study of 18 different nutrients, along with remvesdir and chloroquine. I include the entire report, to help insure that this information does not get lost. As the report observes in its conclusions, there is “intense lobbying by huge pharmaceutical corporations to not focus any research on phytochemical or dietary supplements that were not patented.

COVID-19 Therapeutics: Computational Screenings Show a Variety of Natural Phytochemicals Could Have Efficacy Against SARS-Cov-2 Including EGCG From Green Tea.

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/covid-19-therapeutics-computational-screenings-show-a-variety-of-natural-phytochemicals-could-have-efficacy-against-sars-cov-2-including-egcg-from-gre

COVID-19 Therapeutics : In many drug repurposing and potential therapeutics studies, researchers first use computational screening platforms that involves models of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in detail especially the binding sites of the spike proteins and to match molecular models of existing drugs, supplements, phytochemicals etc to see which have a greater affinity to bind to these sites, hence rendering the virus inactive or unable to bind to the human host cells and replicate.

Many models are already available online for researchers to access and they show in extreme detail the “docking sites” or sites on the spike proteins that binds to human host cells. There are numerous of such docking sites with unique molecular properties and researchers using computational programmes have to identify therapeutic molecules that can effectively dock at those sites to render the SARS-CoV-2 inactive. Upon finding such candidates, typically the next step is to conduct vitro studies, animal studies before proceeding to human clinical trials.

In one interesting study conducted by Indian researchers from Era University in Lucknow, the team studied 18 natural dietary phytochemicals, nutraceuticals such as alpha-lipoic acid and also chloroquine and remdesivir interactions with the molecular docking sites of 7 identified spike proteins found on the surface of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus. https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-19560/v1

In the study the 18 dietary molecules studied were epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), piperine, apigenin, curcumin, gingerol-[6], beta glucan, resveratrol, myricetin, quercetin, genistein, diadzein, alliin, allicin, sulphoraphane, phycocyanobillin, ferulic acid and alpha lipoic acid.

Some of these promising dietary molecules could be developed as therapeutic agents in the prevention and treatment of current COVID–19 disease. In previous studies, numerous dietary molecules such as curcumin, savinin and betulinic acid have been found to show inhibition of 2003 SARS-CoV in the range of 3–10 μM concentrations https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326915905_Discovering_Health_Benefits_of_Phytochemicals_with_Integrated_Analysis_of_the_Molecular_Network_Chemical_Properties_and_Ethnopharmacological_Evidence or https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6115900/

Another study also showed that, kaempferol, quercetin, luteolin–7-glucoside, demethoxycurcumin, naringenin, apigenin–7-glucoside, oleuropein, curcumin, catechin, and epicatechin-gallate have been identified as significant anti-SARS-CoV agents with the help of also molecular docking studies. https://tmu.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/specific-plant-terpenoids-and-lignoids-possess-potent-antiviral-a

Among these dietary molecules, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which is found abundantly in green tea, was found as most active agent against COVID–19.

Please help support this website by kindly making a donation to sustain this website and also all in all our initiatives to propel further research: https://www.thailandmedical.news/p/sponsorship

EGCG showed highest binding affinity (–9.30kcal/mole) and lowest inhibition constant (0.152µM) for the 6y2e spike protein. Moreover, EGCG exhibited a strong molecular interaction with 6vw1 which is an important target of this new coronavirus. It showed highest binding affinity and lowest inhibition constant with –8.66 kcal/mole and 0.152µM values respectively. Further, EGCG displayed excellent interactions with 6vww wherein it showed highest binding affinity (–8.38 kcal/mole) with lowest inhibition constant at 0.724 µM concentration. Additionally, EGCG also exhibited good molecular interactions with SARS-CoV–2 proteins 6lu7, 6lvn, 6lxt, and 6vsb with the values of binding energies and inhibition constant as –6.99, –4.90, –7.57, –7.26 kcal/mole and 7.57, 255.95, 2.84, 4.75 µM concentrations. The computed activity of EGCG was found to be higher than that of both reference drugs, Remdesivir and Chloroquine.

Thai_Study_of_18_phytochemicals_vs_COVID019_Table_Screenshot_2020-08-10_00-09-56

Though the pre-print study was published on 27th March 2020, and has yet to be peer-reviewed, there was intense lobbying by huge pharmaceutical corporations to not focus any research on phytochemical or dietary supplements that were not patented as it would not benefit them and might even affect the business prospects of other drugs that they instead wanted to peddle for profitability gains.

Even various international news media refused to cover on this study as many are directly or indirectly controlled by government authorities and pharmaceutical corporations.

It is also interesting that many of these phytochemicals and dietary molecules were found in Traditional Chinese Medicine formulations that were used in China to treat COVID-19 patients.

It is hope that more of the larger Western research entities would pay more attention to this research findings to further conduct more detailed studies and clinical trials to test the efficacy of this common, cheaper and harmless phytochemicals and nutraceuticals to treat COVID-19 rather than expensive toxic drugs being peddled by the greedy pharmaceutical giants and corrupted government authorities in the US, Europe and even China.

Thailand Medical News however warns that readers should not simply go out and start purchasing any supplements and start consuming them without consulting a doctor first and also till further studies emerge to ascertain their efficacy. Also simply taking some of these dietary supplements could create a false sense of wellbeing that could be dangerous to the person and also others. Also beware of any supplement companies making any false claims of any products that can treat or cure COVID-19 till there are real substantial studies.

For more on COVID-19 Therapeutics and drug research, keep logging to Thailand Medical News.

Please help support this website by kindly making a donation to sustain this website and also all in all our initiatives to propel further research: https://www.thailandmedical.news/p/sponsorship

2 Likes

As mentioned in the post just above, here are some epidemiological results that also show that higher green tea consumption, along with adequate zinc, correlate with more successful outcomes against COVID-19.

More Evidence that Green Tea + Zinc Might Be Able to Help Fight Covid

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-08-08/green-tea-zinc

This article begins with:

The Washington Post noted in May:

It is one of the many mysteries of the coronavirus pandemic: Why has the death toll from covid-19 apparently been lower in Asia than in Western Europe and North America ?

Even allowing for different testing policies and counting methods, and questions over full disclosure of cases, stark differences in mortality across the world have caught the attention of researchers trying to crack the coronavirus code.

The BBC pointed out last month that Japan has a mysteriously low death rate from Covid.

Voice of America News asked in June: How Did Vietnam Become Biggest Nation Without Coronavirus Deaths?

And even though China is ground zero, it has experienced very low mortality compared to many Western nations.

Why are these Asian countries experiencing such low Covid mortality rates?

Correlation is obviously not causation. But as discussed below, there is some evidence that these Asian countries’ green tea consumption may be part of what is helping to prevent higher mortality (as it may also be doing with cancer and heart disease).

This article concludes with:

Indeed, some of these studies show little to no effect from EGCG in the absence of zinc. This may lend some weight to the theory that Indonesia is suffering higher Covid mortality than the other green tea drinking nations because zinc deficiency is so widespread.

And Professor Juan Bautista Fernández Larrea - a professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology at the Universitat Rovira i Virgili, whose team showed that EGCG is a powerful zinc ionophore - told me:

We did not try to visualize or measure the entrance of EGCG into the liposome, helped by zinc … although it is obvious that EGCG must enter the liposome together with Zinc , or together with another metal, never alone by itself. Thus, if zinc enters the liposome, if follows that EGCG has also entered the liposome.

Zinc also has antioxidant properties. Therefore, zinc may help reduce the oxidation of EGCG before it is transported into the cells.

Therefore, there are several lines of evidence indicating that taking EGCG together with zinc may be a powerful combination in fighting Covid.

2 Likes

Thanks again to TheMooster, I learned there is a type of green tea called Matcha which appears to be a high potency type of green tea. In addition, it appears there are different qualities of Matcha as well.

I also learned there are recommended ways to prepare Matcha tea which doesn’t dissolve, instead it suspends in the water. Also, they recommend using water temps below boiling - more like about 176 degrees Fahrenheit.

I plan to replace about 50% of my 3-4 cups of morning coffee by cutting that down to 2 cups of coffee and then having the tea just after my early afternoon meal. This may be hard but my intuition is pushing me this way.

1 Like

#MeToo:slight_smile:

1 Like

Day one - I cut down the coffee 33% and had my Matcha green tea at around 2 PM… and had a real smooooth day, the brain firing at about 98% too… all day.

Tomorrow is dropping that coffee to what would be 50% of what I had been drinking.

Thanks for all the amazing info, Paul!! :smile: Have you seen the little plastic cubicles children in Thailand must use in their schools!! This w/w control is simply
too fantastic!! :crazy_face:

1 Like